PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas


Most of my recipes will start out with "Step one pour yourself a glass of wine".  Well all except for the cocktail recipes, cuz that's just excessive...right?



Anywho...this is a Mexican recipe and I had to add a splishity splash of Corona to the recipe...so I might as well just drink uno. Or dos. Ok tres, but que sera sera - which by the way Wikipedia has told me a mixture of the 'Romance Languages' Spanish and Italian. Spitalian. There ain't a lot of romance in spit. Or is there? 

Tangent.


Soooo I've been craving enchiladas for like a thousand weeks. But the person I mainly eat with...boyfriend or RGP (recipe guinea pig) - not to be confused with RG3, who has superior athletic skill to RGP - is SUPER whiney about food. 

SUPER is capitalized to highlight my annoyance.


I learned after many nights of whining like a baby that pretty much anything drenched in cheese will work for him. Basically, add 10,000 times more cheese on his half and he's a happy man. 

RGP was actually SUPER excited about enchiladas...but not super excited about 'Nooooooooo RED SAUCE??!!!' (whiney voice). But I think I made him a believer. I served him up a couple and when I heard him exclaim 'OH MY GAWWWD' from the living room...I knew I had a winner. 

Please stuff your face with these. They are ever BETTER nuked the next day for lunch. 

Truth.



Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

Serves: 4-6

1t olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 Jalapeño, seeded & diced
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1/4c Mexican beer (I used Corona)
2 4oz cans diced green chiles
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles, drained
1c frozen corn
2 1/2c chicken, shredded (I used one whole rotisserie chicken)
1 t Cumin
1T Chili powder
Salt & pepper to taste
6-8oz light cream cheese
2 c Mexican shredded cheese, divided
Salsa Verde Cream (recipe below)
8-10 whole wheat tortillas* (flour or corn are fine too)
Additional Toppings: Cilantro, Avocado, Sour Cream, Lettuce

*burrito size were a little too big so I cut them in half to serve. I would recommend using taco or fajita size in flour, corn or whole wheat...whatever you fancy!

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions and jalapeños for about 2 minutes. Add garlic, sauté one more minute. Pour beer in pan and use your spoon to scrape up any bits. Mix in green chiles, Rotel tomatoes, frozen corn and chopped chicken to heat through heat through. Season mixture with cumin, chili powder, S&P to taste. Turn off heat and stir in softened cream cheese and 1/2c shredded cheese. Set aside. (I removed the micture to another bowl to cool and for the assembly process, but it's not necessary)

Assembly: Spread some of the salsa verde cream on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Wrap tortillas in paper towel and heat in microwave to soften; about 20 seconds. Working one at a time, add a line of salsa verde cream and a generous portion of chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat until pan is full. My pan was a little small so I froze my left over chicken mixture for another day! Top enchiladas with salsa verde cream and remaining cheese.

Bake for 35-45 minutes until cheese is brown and sauce is bubbling.

Salsa verde cream

1/2 c salsa
1 can green chiles
1/2 cup sour cream
Juice of 1/2 lime

In a small bowl wisk together salsa verde, sour cream & can of green chiles. Season with S&P and lime juice. 



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I always think that the people who don't cook the food have no right to whine about the food. But you're awesome if you put up with that. My husband eats everything. Your enchiladas are much more scientific than my tortillas, chicken, onions, canned enchilada sauce ones....but the husband never complains. And he's Mexican, too. Man, maybe I should try making him some better ones one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! :) I definitely agree with you! We are working on it. Hey those enchiladas are amazing too! Let me know if you try these.

      Delete