PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

"Top Notch" Cornbread


The best joke I heard about the Super Bowl came from my mom.

"The Super Bowl in 2014 will be held at the Motel 6; they always keep the lights on"

OK. That. is. funny. Good Job Mom.

I love my mom - remember that - and I had to give her a shout out because I'm about to knock her. :)

Now the woman makes EXCELLENT chili but her corn muffins from the mix have always been dry and burnt on the bottom. (now I can let out that breath I've been holding). I'm not going to blame her...I'm going to blame Jiffy for printing a bogus recipe on the box. :)

So last week one one of the cold snowy nights here in Michigan - which has been like the last 1000000 nights - I made a good 'ol pot of White Chicken Chili. It was deliciously heartwarming, but would not have been complete without some amazing cornbread.

I LOVE cornbread. People eat it all sorts of ways. My roommate in college thought it was weird that I ate it with chili because he family ate it for breakfast with syrup. HUH???

Anyways I like the Jiffy mix because it's made in Michigan (whoop whoop) and it's just easy to have it pre mixed for you! Plus, boxed mixes give you the opportunity to doctor it up just the way you like it. This is how I like it...and RGP likes it too! I think he called it "Top Notch".

I only took one picture but they literally were sweet squares of cheesy, moist, gooey, spicy heaven. I'm drooling.



Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread


2 T. butter, divided
2 boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix
2 eggs
2/3 c. whole or 2% milk
10oz of creamed corn (about 2/3 of a can)
6oz of pepper jack cheese, cubed
1 can of diced green chiles
1 large jalapeno
1/2 c. fresh or frozen corn

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 and butter 8x8 pan (I used glass) with 1 T of butter.

Stir together Jiffy mix, eggs, milk and creamed corn until well mixed. Add next four ingredients and fold together. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Melt last tablespoon of butter and swirl into uncooked mix with spatula.

Bake for 30-40 minutes until top is brown and until a toothpick comes out clean. Just keep a close eye on it. If the top starts to brown too much put tin foil over until the center is cooked through.

Enjoy with some more butter. Oops.




Buh-bye Lovers~

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Yum, sounds delish! I love Jiffy mix too, but never thought about spicing it up like this, great idea!

    ReplyDelete